Makes 4 servings
Ready In: Less than 30 minutes
1 package refrigerated whole-wheat pizza dough
2 packed cups basil leaves
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons water
1 large clove garlic, quartered
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Grease a pizza pan and spread dough evenly onto pan. Set aside.
3. To make pesto, place basil, pine nuts, Parmesan, oil, water, garlic, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Pulse a few times, then blend until fairly smooth, occasionally scraping down the sides.
4. Spread 1/4 cup pesto onto pizza dough, covering evenly. Put remaining pesto in a tightly sealed container and store in the refrigerator.
5. Spread ricotta on top of pesto (it may not cover entire pizza). Sprinkle mozzarella on top.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
Note: The healthier, whole-wheat base in this pizza will keep your belly feeling fuller longer than typical pie. And in lieu of traditional marinara sauce, pesto is full of heart-healthy fats from olive oil and pine nuts. With all of these fresh and flavorful ingredients, forget the delivery boy—forever!