Tips To Preventing Diabetes Type 2
Diabetes Type 2 had become a global concern nearly a decade ago, when it comes to diabetes prevention an early detection is the only solution, because once someone gets it, it cannot be eliminated and you have to take treatment for life. Today we can say there is a diabetes epidemic in full progression in many parts of the world. Although diabetes type 1 is congenital, diabetes type 2 can be controlled if detected at an early stage.
Prevention and awareness are the key factors in controlling this epidemic; 1.4 million Americans are diagnosed with diabetes every year, which is alarming. Diabetes type 2 and its onset is characterized when the Insulin hormone becomes inefficient, it is not produced enough by the pancreas to meet body needs, or the body cells become unresponsive to the insulin produced by the pancreas.
In type 1-diabetes there is very little or no insulin produced, so taking insulin is a must.
Around 8-9 million diabetes sufferers in the US remain undiagnosed, the situation is way worse in developing countries, where adequate medical facilities are scarce.
Eating instant meals and simple sugars rapidly increases the blood sugar levels, overtime it can make the body cells unresponsive to insulin, which we call “insulin resistance”.
Here we are giving you tips on how to prevent pre-diabetes from becoming diabetes and how to generally prevent the onset of diabetes, even if you are genetically predisposed to have it.
- Carbohydrates are not the bad guys here; eat carbs with low glycemic index, simple sugars and instant meals raise your blood sugar instantly causing an insulin surge. You can have oatmeal, whole grains, leafy green vegetables, fruits, beans and lentils.
- Include more fiber in your diet, fiber-rich food takes more time to digest and stabilizes the blood sugar. Foods rich in fiber are peas, beans, broccoli, chickpeas, whole grain and of course fruits.
- Stop drinking soda.
- Eat lean chicken, organic eggs, fish, lean beef, sea food and yogurt.
- Herbs like cinnamon and clove help stabilize the blood sugar; goldenseal is an herb that contains an alkaloid berberine, 500 mg of which twice daily can help lower elevated blood sugar levels. Gymnema herb has been in use in Ayurveda for thousands of year, it may aid in insulin secretion in people with diabetes type 2.
- Get magnesium and chromium from grains, nuts, cheese, beef and chicken.
- Avoid toxicity to phthalates used in plastics.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes 5 days a week.
Need help in putting together your plan to fight off Diabetes?
We are here to help you take the first steps in a healthier way of living.